Lands’ End Bandeau Top Swimsuit

6.26.2008

Review by Amanda at One Carbon Hill

Lands’ End Bandeau Top Swimsuit

Last summer, I was on a quest. I set forth on the type of journey that rivals that of the search for the Holy Grail, an odyssey so daunting it makes hunting for the Loch Ness Monster or Big Foot look about as challenging as finding farm animals at a petting zoo. I was bound and determined to find that elusive piece of essential summer wear that causes women worldwide to cry out in agony, to gnash their teeth in frustration, to pull out their hair from frustration – I was on the hunt for a swimsuit.

Once upon a time, many moons ago, swimsuit shopping wasn’t such a traumatic experience. I could walk into almost any store selling swim apparel, try on a couple, and walk out unscathed with at least one, but usually two, well fitting suits. They hid all the spots that needed to be hidden and accented those features which were worthy of a little extra attention. Of course those shopping experiences were also pre-childbirth, before my body was covered in stretch marks, before my once intact abs were lost forever from the stretching and cutting of muscles resulting from pregnancy and subsequent two c-sections in less than two years, before my boobs swelled to a ridiculous 36DD.

After the birth of my first daughter I tried finding a swimsuit that would be appropriate for my new body type. I can remember being in tears as I stood in a changing room in JC Penney’s, my almost one year old baby smiling at me from her stroller oblivious to the struggle I was at that very moment going through, thinking to myself, “I’m too young for a tummy control panel! This is so wrong!”. In the next two years I subjected myself to a couple more swimsuit trials, all walking away either defeated or with a suit I was less than thrilled with.

At the start of last summer I thought to myself, “Is it really so impossible to find a suit that provides an appropriate amount of coverage without making me look like a 76 year old grandmother from Pensacola?”. Finally, a good friend guided me in the right direction, promising me a plethora of suits to choose from which would not only offer cute styles and patterns but would also cover up all of my “problem areas”. I was skeptical, but determined.

That same afternoon I went to the Lands’ End website and began perusing their selection. I was impressed with what they offered and also found their helpful guides for finding the right suit for my body type, well, helpful. Before long I had settled on a three piece tankini - a bandeau top with adjustable and removable straps and a coordinating swim bottom with matching skirt. I’ve searched their website for a similar style, and the best I could come up with is the suit pictured here.
The major differences between my suit and this one is that my top and bottom do not have the drawstring sides and the top and bottom are of the same black and white print. Now, could I just post a picture of myself in my swimsuit to give you a true look at what I’m talking about? I suppose so. But does any 30 year old woman in her right mind willing provide photographic evidence of herself in a swimsuit? This one certainly does not, so you’re just going to have to make do with what is provided.

What I love about this suit is that the top has length to it – so many of the tankinis I had tried on previously skimmed an inch or so above the waistband of the swimsuit bottom. I needed something that was longer than that, something that would cover my midsection even when my arms are raised above my head, to avoid permanently scaring any small children at the pool. Also, this top has a built in under wire, something I need to support the girls appropriately. The suit bottoms were the perfect mix of anti-granny panty while still providing solid coverage with little to no creeping. And the skirt was just an added bonus.

I have only a few relatively minor complaints about this suit. One, the removable straps often choose to unhinge themselves when I least expect it. They stay in place for the most part, but I’ve had a couple of close call peep-show moments, enough to cause me great concern when my hands are otherwise occupied with various pool and mothering related activities. Another issue, one I blame on myself for poor decision making, is that the thin straps don’t really keep me, um, as uplifted as I would like. Also, the most frustrating thing about this suit is that it’s great when I’m laying pool side, but as soon as I get in the water the top bubbles up. Highly irritating when I’m trying to minimize that specific area.

One other issue which caused me great hesitation at first was the price. The specific suit I purchased, once shipping and handling were added into the mix, set me back about $100. This was, by far, the most I had ever spent on a swimsuit but I rationalized that the cost was worth it to find one great suit at that price in place of purchasing three ill-fitting suits for the same amount.

I’m the queen of rationalizing like that.

I learned after the fact that I could have saved myself some money by shopping for my suit at Sears of all places. Who would’ve thought that a store known for its selection of tools would carry Lands’ End suits? Certainly not me, which is why I didn’t check there first.

So, go forth, women and be not afraid. I am proof that there is a swim suit out there for you. And, if nothing else, remember that in a couple of months we’ll be trading in this heinous piece of wardrobe for jeans and sweatshirts once again. Like all good things, this too shall pass.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lands' End swimming suits may be expensive, but they are worth the extra money. They last a very long time and do not lose their elasticity.

Posted by: Jaime | June 27, 2008 at 12:39 PM

Anonymous said...

I bought my first Lands End suit last summer, and have been very pleased with it. It is probably one of the most comfortable suits I have ever purchased.

I bought the halter-style version, which I have been very pleased with - and does offer support, but does not have any underwire.

Posted by: Chief's Wife | June 27, 2008 at 03:05 PM

Anonymous said...

I had to keep my hands from trembling as I paid $100 for my Lands End suit this year. I have to say though, it has been WELL worth it. I went with the tummy control one-piece grecian suit (in mulberry, not that the color matters).
It has been great. I loved your review and will be checking back! :)

Posted by: rikki | July 07, 2008 at 10:38 AM