The Awesome Auger

6.20.2008
This review is brought to you by Kerrie at The Mini Van Soap Box

Review: The Awesome Auger
Price: $79.00, but I'm an idiot

Once again, I had to have something that's being sold on TV. But this one is different, right? THIS one will actually change my life! THIS one is really going to take ALL the hard work out of gardening!

Not so much.
First off - I highly recommend to anyone who decides to purchase this to CALL ON THE PHONE! The commercial is very clever in saying that for only $19.95 you can have all these great things - (but you pay shipping and handling). You will be VERY surprised how expensive shipping and handling are and the website does not clearly state what it is you're buying. There are a lot of pages consisting of "Do You Want The Long Auger Free Of Charge" and such - you end up clicking your way into a very expensive purchase. I ended up getting 4 of the same sized 'augers', a drill that is no more powerful than a my daughters plastic hair dryer, and I didn't even get the LONG auger (which is the one I wanted).

The actual item works fine, I suppose. I don't feel as though it actually makes perfect holes so you can "just place your plants in" and go - as they state in the commercial - so there is still some actual work you have to do by hand, unless it's a bulb. I suppose in that situation you could just plop it in there and "go".

I have used mine a few times - mostly to break hard dirt up - before I use an actual shovel. It WILL clean weeds up - but certainly not from the root. In addition, the cheap ass drill they send dies in about 5 minutes of use. I removed quite a few large overgrown bushes this year, and the auger did help a bit. However, I used my husband's Dewalt Power Drill instead of the one they sent me.

Pros: I suppose it can help in your gardening chores...but only with a good drill

Cons: Clever advertising has you spending $80 on shipping/handling for a tool that really does not do what it says it will. You will get the same results with some sweat and a shovel.

If you MUST have one, I've got four of them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'll stick to the shovel and sweat attached to Hotty Hubby while I sit on the patio with a Mai Tai and watch. Ahhh the epitome of laziness. Yay me.

Posted by: MadWomanMeg | June 20, 2008 at 04:08 PM