Mighty Putty

6.18.2008

This review brought to you by Brooke from The Sylvester 4.

Review: Mighty Putty
Cost: $19.00

I’m really confused by the Mighty Putty reviews I see online. They are literally black and white. People either LOVE this stuff and say that it holds anything, or they say it’s a scam and a waste of money, and it holds nothing.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the latter. I saw Mighty Putty for sale in the “As Seen On TV” section of the Walgreens ( I love that section).I was so excited- I am completely sucked in by the infomercials for these things. But I do, at least, have the self control to (almost) never buy them from the 1-800 number on the screen. I anxiously await for the day they appear in the Walgreens.

I had a number of things that I was anxious to fix. The key to our Honda was breaking- one of those keys that has the button to unlock the car and turn off the alarm. You can’t turn off the alarm without it. The key part was breaking out of the head. Can you believe that they want $400 to replace one of those things?!! Highway robbery!!! I knew that Mighty Putty would be perfect to fix it. I also had some wall-hanging guitar holders that I couldn’t get to stay up. The wall anchors wouldn’t hold the weight of the guitars. The commercial said that Mighty Putty could hold up to 350 pounds! Problem solved, right?

OK, so, here’s the score:

Walking Cane: The little rubber bottom thingy had fallen off of a walking cane that the kids liked to play with. It would NOT stay on no matter what we tried. Just like in the commercial, I pressed a ball of Mighty Putty into the rubber cap, and pressed the cane into it. It has never fallen off again. Pass

Wall Thingy: I was trying to put a heavy magazine holder into the wall. The screw on one side hit a stud and was great. The other one ripped out of the wall and left a hole too big to do anything with. SO, I tried what they did in the commercial. I put a blob of putty into and all around the hole. I attached the cabinet to the wall, and waited for the putty to harden. In the morning, I found a flat blob of putty on the ground under the cabinet. Fail

Bathroom Cabinet: You know those little pegs that hold up the little shelves in the vanity mirror? Well, 2 of them were gone. I pressed a small blob of putty into the holes and then set the shelf back down. It worked perfectly. I can put anything on that shelf and it holds. Pass

Key: The key came out of the fob. I thought this should be easy. I pressed a ton of putty into and around the crack in the fob. I pressed the metal key back into place, put a heavy box on top of the whole thing to press it shut, and left it there to dry for 2 days. TJ put the key in the ignition, turned it, and the fob came off in his hand, leaving the key in the ignition… Epic Fail

Pros: It works, sometimes. It comes in easy to store tubes. It doesn’t become active until you knead the green and white parts together, so, even if you leave it out or something, it doesn’t get ruined. It’s easy to clean off before it dries, and easy to wash off your hands with just a little soap and water.

Cons: It doesn’t work, sometimes. It smells so bad… So bad. Like sulfur maybe. Also- wear the glove they give you- because after a few minutes of having the putty against your skin, it starts to sting a little. It’s a strong chemical.

Final Verdict? Well, for ME- it’s a thumbs down. But I’ve seen lots of reviews on line from people who love it. I guess you have to decide for yourself.

Enjoy!

0 comments: