Laser Hair Removal

6.09.2008

This review is brought to you by Kerrie at The Mini Van Soap Box

Review: Laser Hair Removal - Reveal Med Spa
Cost: $1800; included their current 30% off promotion
Area: Underarms & Bikini

I had been playing with the idea for a long time. Every day I heard the same commercial on the radio on my way to work - and I knew I would like to try it. However, like any commercial that does not inform you of the cost, chances were it was going to be far too expensive.

I finally managed to find some time to call and get an idea if it was even feasible. I had to endure a good 20 minutes of Corporate BS before we even got the the pricing...It was starting to remind me of a time share "opportunity". I gathered all the information that I could and prepared for the next hurdle: My husband.

Surprisingly, he was pretty supportive of the idea...so off we went to being (further) in debt.

Here's the basic idea behind it:

Women like me, dark hair/fair skin, are by far the best candidates for this procedure. You may have some issues if you are blond and/or very dark skinned. You are scheduled for five to six appointments, each no less than six weeks apart. During the 30 some odd weeks that it takes for the complete 'process', there is no waxing, plucking, tweezing or any other form of removing hair from the root. Shaving is completely acceptable. There is an initial consultation, where you will discuss the procedure and take some 'before' pictures.

Initially I was nervous about the pictures....My crazy brain started imaging pictures of me...down there...splashed all over the internet. Turns out it was harmless and only about a 1 x 1 picture for comparison purposes after everything is said and done.

The appointments themselves are....interesting. A hand held, gun shaped device is what the clinician uses for the treatment. In essence, it grabs the skin in small sections and sucks it into the opening just a bit - which is where the laser is. I won't use the word painful, but it can sting a bit, but only momentarily. As I stated above, I'm having my under arms and bikini area done and the underarm stings a bit more - but mostly because that skin is pulled a little tighter.

The other 'area' is just plain bizarre - but mostly because of where it is - and what she has to do. I embarrass pretty easily and she has to kind of 'get in there'. It can be very awkward. The tech that does my appointments is very easy going and we chit chat a great deal.

Lastly, water is sprayed from a spray bottle at each application site. Can be very cold.

I'm three appointments in, and to date I can't tell any difference what so ever. From what I understand, they increase the laser strength with each visit - hence why it takes six appointments. They warned me about this in the beginning - but I still find it rather irritating. I feel as though I'm not getting anywhere yet.

Pros: The staff is pleasant and professional
When it's over - I feel as though it will have been worth the cost

Cons: Expense.
If you are like me, and get uncomfortable just going to the OB, it can be awkward.

I will update again when all six appointments are done...but I probably won't share my before and after pictures!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too am looking into the laser hair removal...I've checked out Radiance Med Spa (Broadlands and Lansdowne) and also at my Dermatologists office.

That seems like a GREAT deal at Reveal, if that is the combined rate for both the underarms and bikini!

Posted by: christine | June 18, 2008 at 06:22 AM